Job Category: Other Area(s)
Job Number: 3254
Pay Rate: 16.00
Southern Point Staffing is looking for a Boiler Control Tech Apprentice in the Albany, Ga area.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Install, repair, clean and operate commercial boiler systems, with special responsibility for emergency services including equipment repair and maintenance.
Perform work in facilities such as customer boiler and plant maintenance rooms as well as shop floors. Boiler Technicians are responsible for performing services on the following types of equipment:
- Low-pressure commercial boilers
- High-pressure commercial boilers
- Power boilers
- Steam boilers
- Hot water heating systems
- Gas, oil, coal, solid waste, wood, biomass and hybrid fuel-fired systems
- Packaged burner systems
- Feed water systems
- Blowdown separators
- Control panels
- Exhaust stacks
- Fuel tanks
- Heat exchangers
- Chemical feed systems
- Other auxiliary components of commercial boiler systems
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Travel to job sites and provide routine maintenance and emergency services.
- Operate boilers and controls.
- Install, troubleshoot and/or make repairs on boilers, heaters, burners and other components of a boiler system as listed above.
- Install and repair boiler tubes, headers, brickwork, and refractory casings.
- Install manholes, handholes, taps, tubes, valves, gauges, and feedwater connections.
- Install refractory brick and other heat-resistant materials in fireboxes or pressure vessels.
- Install and start up commercial heating systems as required.
- Inspect assembled vessels and individual components, such as tubes, fittings, valves, controls, and auxiliary mechanisms, to locate any defects.
- Replace or repair pipe fitting and valves using hand and power tools.
- Erect and repair air pollution abatement equipment, storage and process tanks, and smokestacks.
- Prepare and run pressure tests to verify the integrity of repairs.
- Thread and fit pipe.
- Cut and shape metal using gas torches and electric grinders.
- Clean boilers and boiler furnaces using scrapers, wire brushes, and cleaning solvents.
- Use blueprints to determine locations, positions, or dimensions of parts.
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) appropriate to job duties
- Comply with safety standards to avoid workplace incidents and accidents.
- Work overtime as needed to meet production demands
- Perform R-coded welded repairs on pressure vessel (only for state certified welders)
- Inspect boiler and auxiliary equipment for proper and safe operation.
- Test boiler feed water and treat with chemicals, if needed.
- Prepare and maintain records on work performed, materials used, and any follow-on maintenance and repair work proposed to customer.
- Create, maintain, and submit timely and accurate timesheets.
- Coordinate with State and Insurance inspectors.
- Participate in professional development and training as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Prior experience troubleshooting electronic control systems, either in a commercial, military, or residential setting.
- Valid motor vehicle operation's license.
- Knowledge of heating systems, boiler and other related power equipment, boiler chemistry and water testing procedures.
- Knowledge of boiler codes and safety standards.
- Ability to read, interpret and follow standard operating and safety procedures.
- Ability to read, interpret and understanding specifications and drawings.
- Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job which include lifting up to 100 lbs. boxes and crawling inside boilers for inspection and repairs.
- Ability to access confined spaces and work overhead on scaffolding.
- Able to climb stairs and ladders.
- Willingness to endure noise, fumes, dust and inclement weather.
- Four years’ experience as a journeyman, plumber, pipefitter, or mechanic.
Compensation and schedule
- Technical school graduate.
- Master Plumber's license or equivalent technical training.
SPS is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- $16.00hr Pay can increase depending on experience.
- Apprenticeship program that will prepare you for an eventual role as a Senior Boiler Technician.
- The program provides an opportunity to earn a salary while participating in a mixture of classroom and on the job training as well as assisting a senior boiler control technician.
- Pay will be depending on their skillset. Hours are 40+ we alternate weekends for on call with some amounts of scheduled weekend work.
- We offer bonuses, paid vacation, paid holidays, paid travel, company vehicle and use of company gym.
Share This Job:
Login to save this search and get notified of similar positions.